Schedule – September 15, 2012:
- 10am-12pm: Class Period
- 12pm-1pm: Lunch Break
- 1pm-3pm: Class Period
- 3:30pm-4:30pm: Apiary Trip (optional, limit: 15 people)
711 Business Way
Wylie, Tx 75098
Apiary Field Trip:
885 Legend Trail
Wylie, Tx 75098
About the Seminar
This is an introductory course to the fascinating world of beekeeping for the beginner beekeeper. Learn the art of basic beekeeping and how to produce your own honey! We will delve into the amazing life of the honeybee and how to successfully be a beekeeper.
The seminar is led by an experienced beekeeper and includes lecture and (optional) hands on application of the presented material. This course is presented in 4 hours of classroom lecture and one hour of application (optional). These classes are designed for the beginner with no experience.
About the Instructor
Rachael Seida became a beekeeper at the age of fourteen when she received a youth scholarship through a local beekeeping club. She has worked in the beekeeping industry as a beekeeper, spokesperson, and educator for more than nine years. In 2008 Rachael traveled across the US educating the public on the importance of beekeeping, reaching more than 2 million people. She is currently a hobby beekeeper and keeps her hives in her backyard. She also teaches beekeeping classes through the Collin County Hobby Beekeepers Association, and co-chairs the Texas Honey Queen Program.
Included with the Registration:
- Four-hour introductory beekeeping class
- Beekeeping handbooks (one set per family) – First Lessons in Beekeeping by Keith Delaplane and Beekeeping For Dummies by Howland Blackiston.
Apiary Field Trip (Optional; Limited to 15 People):
Visit a real bee-yard and go through a working beehive! Learn the safe and correct way to light a smoker, open a beehive, and check the health of the colony.
- One hour hands-on trip to an apiary
- Pair of beekeeping gloves
- Hive Tool
- Bee Veil/Helmet
Advance registration is required
- $75 for one person
- $50 for additional family members
- $25 for each additional book set (one set included per family)
- $55 Apiary Field Trip (optional)
Download Beekeeping Seminar Registration Form